Section 7: Exercising Your Rights
7.1 When should I file a complaint with the Labour Standards Commission?
Your employer must obey the labour standards law. Contact the Commission des normes du travail (Labour Standards Commission) and file a complaint if your employer is not respecting one of your rights under the law.
7.2 How does the Labour Standards Commission handle complaints?
The Commission will look into your complaint. What will happen depends on the type of complaint.
- If you complain about money your employer owes you (such as wages, overtime, holiday or vacation pay, paid breaks, etc.) and does not pay you, the Commission can pay you what you are owed.
- If you complain about being dismissed or punished by your employer because, for example:
- you could not work overtime, even though you tried to find a babysitter;
- you are old enough to retire, but do not want to;
- you filed a complaint with the Commission about something else;
- you spoke to the Commission about someone else’s complaint;
- you are pregnant,